As Navratri’s are very near, most of us observe fast during these 9 days. So, I decided to share a recipe that you can try during your fast.
Sabudana is the ingredient which is used to prepare many dishes during fasting period, like Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Kheer and Sabudana vada etc.
So below is the recipe for Sago/Sabudana vada. The recipe serves 3.
- Sabudana -1/2 cup (soaked in water overnight and then sieved to drain water)
- 2 medium size potatoes (boiled, peeled and then mashed)
- 1 finely chopped green chilly
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste ( sendha namak can be used if prepared for fast )
- ½ tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp Cumin/jeera
- ¼ tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Peanuts (moongphali) can also be added ( I haven’t used this ingredient in my recipe as I don’t like peanuts)
- Oil for frying
How to make :
- Mix Sabudana, potatoes and other mentioned ingredients very well in a bowl.
- Taking small portion of the mixture in your hand, roll them into small ball and press slightly with your hands.
- Make similar patties using rest of the mixture.
- Now heat oil in pan and fry all the patties until golden brown
- Serve hot with coriander or red chutney.
- Sabudana should be well soaked. Slightest hardness can ruin it.
- Also, water should be properly rinsed and Sabudana should be properly sieved. Otherwise too much moisture can make it difficult to get a proper shape.
- If you are going to use peanuts in your recipe then go for roasted peanuts.
- Sabudana vadas can be shallow fried on tawa/pan to avoid deep frying.
Photo Credits: Rajat Chamria