You can’t think of a South Indian meal without any kind of chutney on the side. Be it Any Dosa, Idly, Uttapam or Vada. Onion-tomato goes well with all of these. And the best part is, it is very easy to prepare and takes about 15 – 20 minutes only. Here’s how you can have it today…
Start with the following ingredients:
- Tomatoes – 2 medium sized chopped
- Onions – 2 medium sized chopped
- 1 tsp Urad Daal
- 1 to 2 dry Red Chillies
- Heeng (asafetida) – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – one small piece
- Tamarind (Imli) seedless – approx ½ tsp
- Salt as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
How to prepare:
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add Urad Daal to it.
- Roast till Daal turns golden brown and then add dry Red Chilly. Saute for a minute.
- Add ginger, tomatoes, onions and heeng. Saute till they become soft.
- Let above mixture cool and grind in a chutney grinder with Imli to a smooth paste.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds along with dry red chilli.
- When mustard seeds starts to crackle, pour above prepared paste in it and saute for 5 mins.
- And this is what you get.. ready to serve..