Namak Paare and Mathri, both are famous North Indian Savory fried snack which can be enjoyed at anytime of the day or with Chai or tea . I personally enjoy this with chilly or mango pickle. The preparation of both is almost similar, except the shape.
So let’s get started 😊
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup desi ghee/oil (melted)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
2 pinch baking soda
Oil for frying
How To Prepare:
- Sieve together all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add ghee and ajwain.
- Add water and start to knead the dough. It should not be soft but little hard and tight.
- Let the dough rest for about 20-30 mins.
From here, the steps are little different for Mathris and for Namak Paare.
- Divide the dough into small balls of equal size.
- Roll each ball into circular shape, it should not be very thin but little thick.
- Prick the rolled dough with the help of a fork or knife as shown below:
- Prepare all mathris in the similar way and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and start to fry mathris on a low to medium flame till they turn light golden brown. (Oil should not be too hot otherwise mathri will become brown quickly without getting cooked from inside)
- Drain mathris on tissue paper to remove excess oil.
For Namak Paare:
- Divide the dough into medium size balls and roll them into circular shape neither too thick nor too thin.
- Discard the circular edges to get a proper rectangular shape as in the below picture.
- Cut into smaller pieces using knife.
- Place these pieces in oil one by one and fry on low to medium flame till they turn light golden brown.
- Place Namak Paare on tissue paper to drain excess oil.
Once Mathri or Namak Paare cool down, store in air-tight container and enjoy them anytime.
View this post on Instagram
The only snacks which i cannot resist whether tummy is full or on dieting (though I am not😀😀) . My all time favourite Namakpaare/ Nimki. It's a well known Indian snack. These can be eaten as it is but I like them with chilli or mango pickle. They are a perfect companion for a cup of tea ☕☕☕😍😍 #nofilter